The rules are basically the same as any soccer game with the following exceptions.
Number of players
1) A game is played with five players, one of whom is the goalkeeper.
2) Substitutions can be made on the fly. Players who are substituting and interfere with the immediate “play” will be called with an indirect free kick for the opposing team at the spot of the foul. Substitutions can be made on any dead ball.
3) All players must wear shin guards.
Length of Game
4) Games consist of two 20 minute halves. There is no real halftime. Have players grab a drink of water and re-take the field.
*New Rule - Heading the soccer ball will no longer be allowed in our league. A deliberate header shall result in an indirect free kick awarded to the opponent at the spot of the infraction.
Start of Play
5) During the kickoff, the opposing team shall be no less than 5 yards from the ball until it is kicked off and put in play. A goal can not be scored directly from a kick-off.
Ball In & Out of Play
6) When the ball accidentally hits the ceiling the game is restarted by an indirect kick awarded to the opposing team. The kick is taken from the 2nd penalty mark on the opposing team's offensive half of the field.
7) When the whole of the ball completely crosses over the touchline, it shall be kicked or dribbled back into the game. The ball must be stationary on the touchline before either is done. The players of the opposing team shall be at least 2 yards away from the spot where the kick-in is being taken. Players taking the kick-in must do so within 4 seconds of taking possession of the ball.
8) When the whole of the ball completely crosses the end line, the goalkeeper, standing within his/her own penalty area, shall only throw it back into play (no drop kick or goal kick) and the ball has to touch any player or the goalkeeper's own half of the pitch before it crosses the halfway line of the pitch. This is a way to restart the game and it is called goal clearance. If the ball is live (example: a goalie stops a shot on goal) the goalie must also throw it back into play within four seconds and it must touch a player or the goalkeeper's own half of the pitch before it crosses the halfway line of the pitch. Failure to do so will result in an indirect kick from the 2nd penalty spot.
9) When a player is taking a free kick, whether direct or indirect, all of the opposing players and the defending wall must be at least 5 yards from the ball and the wall can not move until the ball has been put in play. If a player of the opposing team encroaches within 5 yards of the ball, the free kick will be retaken. If the free kick is not taken within 4 seconds an indirect free kick will be given to the opposing team.
10) A goal may be scored directly from a corner kick. A player may also dribble the ball in directly from a corner kick.
11) An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team from the corner line if the corner kick is not performed within 4 seconds or if the kicker touches the ball a second time.
12) Players of the opposing team shall not encroach within 2 yards of the ball until it is in play.
13) Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken at the end of each half or at the end of each period of extra time.
14) The players are located outside the penalty area, behind or to the side of the penalty mark and at least 5 yards from the penalty mark.
15) During the penalty kick the opposing goalkeeper has to remain on his own goal line until the ball has been kicked.
4 Second Rule
16) FREE KICK - If the team taking any free kick takes more than four (4) seconds to do so, after the referee whistles he/she shall award an indirect free kick to the opposing team.
17) KICK IN - If the kick-in is not carried out within four seconds from the time the player taking the kick takes possession of the ball, a player of the opposing team shall retake it.
18) CORNER KICK - If the corner kick is not carried out within four seconds from the time the player has taken possession of the ball, the referee shall award an indirect free kick to the opposing team from the corner mark.
19) GOAL CLEARANCE - If the goalie does not clear the ball within four seconds from the time of possession the referee shall award an indirect free kick to the opposing team from the outside edge of the goalie's area nearest to where the infringement occurred.
Fouls & Misconduct
20) All fouls are in accordance with FIFA rules. EXCPETION – No slide tackling or challenges from behind.
21) An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper commits one of the following offenses
- I. Following a kick-in taken by a player in his/her own half, the ball is directly passed to the goalkeeper, who touches or controls it with his hands;
- II. Touches or controls it with his/her hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him/her by a teammate;
- III. He/she touches or controls the ball with his/her hands or feet, for more than four seconds, except when he/she touches or controls the ball on the opponent's half of the playing court;
- IV. After having released the ball, he/she receives the ball from a teammate, without it having first passed beyond the halfway line or has been played or touched by an opponent.
22) All all fouls are taken from the spot of the foul. All fouls and corner kicks are direct.